Address: Cicio Pop Street, no.2, Timişoara, Romania
Head of Discipline
📧 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Epidemiology was established in 1947 and from then until 1952, it was led by Associate Professor Dr David Petru, who also wrote the first course for students. During 1952-1957, the Department of Epidemiology merged with the Department of Infectious Diseases under the leadership of Professor Dr Vladimir Buşilă. In 1957, Epidemiology became a separate department again and was led by Dr Oliver Pop for 30 years (initially a Lecturer, then an Associate Professor, and then finally a full Professor. Prof. Dr Eufimia Anghelescu, MD, has been active in the department since 1960 and was head of the department from 1987 to 1992.
In 1990, Dr Emilian Damian Popovici won the competition for the position of Assistant Professor and thus started his medical and teaching career. He went on to become a primary epidemiologist, Doctor of Medicine, Lecturer (between 1995-2003), Associate Professor and Residency coordinator (until May 2021), as well as Head of Epidemiology Department, for 26 years (from 1995 until 2021).
Over time, a number of teachers and researchers have worked in the Epidemiology Department: Dr Valeriu Gorcea, Dr Mihai Vălceanu, Dr Emil Novac and specialist biologist Adela Stroie, who, together with the above-mentioned heads of department, contributed to the development of courses, over 500 scientific papers, 3 inventions, and a representative number of teaching and monographic books.
In 1993, Dr Sorina Maria Denisa Laitin held the position of Assistant Professor, then became the primary epidemiologist, infectious disease specialist, Doctor of Medicine, and, as of 2004, Lecturer.
In 2003, Dr Luminiţa Mirela Bădiţoiu held the position of Assistant Professor following an academic competition. In 2019, she became a Lecturer and, in 2021 an Associate Professor, currently being a primary epidemiologist, Doctor of Medicine, Head of Discipline and coordinator of the resident doctors in the specialty of Epidemiology.
The team has grown by including the following members:
- 2007: Mariana Anghel, Doctor of Chemistry as main chemist;
- 2018: Dr Radu Pavel, epidemiologist; and
- 2021: Dr Irina Maria Ștefan, resident doctor in the specialty of Epidemiology. and of Dr Căpraru Ionuț Dragoș, primary epidemiologist, the last 3 being doctoral students at the Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Timisoara.
The members of the department give teach theoretical and practical classes of Epidemiology for the specialties: Medicine, General Medical Assistance, College of Dietetics and Nutrition, College of Balneophysiokinetotherapy, Dentistry and Dental Technology. They are also involved in the development and teaching of postgraduate courses, courses and guidelines for resident doctors, the coordination of bachelor theses, and scientific activity focused especially on the following:
- Communicable diseases:
– Stefan Dascălu, Oana Geambașu, Ovidiu Covaciu, Răzvan Mircea Cherecheș, Gabriel Diaconu, Gindrovel Gheorghe Dumitra, Valeriu Gheorghiță, Emilian Damian Popovici. COVID-19 Vaccination in Romania: Challenges and Potential Solutions. Frontiers in Public Health 2021, 9-644538, Doi: 10.3389 / pubh.2021.644538
– Alexandru Noris Novăvescu, Georgiana Duma, Bettina Buzzi, Luminița Mirela Bădițoiu, Ovidiu Bedreag, Marius Papurică, Dorel Săndesc, Teodora Sorescu, Daliborca Vlad, Monica Licker. Therapeutic Plasma Exchange Followed by Convalescent Plasma Transfusion in Severe and Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients: A Single-Centre, Non-Randomized, Controlled Trial. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine 2022, 23: 76, DOI: 10.3892 / etm.2021.10999
- Healthcare-associated infections and bacterial multidrug resistance:
– Corina Mușuroi, Monica Licker, Maria Rus, Edward Seclaman, Delia Muntean, Silvana Vulpie, Luminița Baditoiu. Difficult to Treat Proteeae Strains in High-Risk Romanian Hospital Departments, Romanian Journal of Laboratory Medicine 2021, 29 (1); DOI: 10.2478 / rrlm-2021-0003.
– Maria Rus, Monica Licker, Corina Mușuroi, Delia Muntean, Silvana Vulpie, Oana Magiar, Teodora Sorescu, Silvia Ioana Musuroi, Adela Voinescu and Luminița Mirela Bădițoiu. Association of Proteus mirabilis and Providencia stuartii Infections with Diabetes. Medicina 2022, 58, 271. https://doi.org/10.3390/medicina58020271.
– Maria Alina Lupu, Radu Pavel, Voichița Elena Lăzureanu, Emilian Damian Popovici, Tudor Rareș Olariu. Trichinellosis in Hospitalized Patients in Western Romania: A Retrospective Study. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine 2021, 22: 895-900.
– Pavel Radu, Ursoniu Sorin, Paduraru Ana Alexandra, Lighezan Rodica, Lupu Maria Alina, Olariu Tudor Rares. Seroprevalence and Risk Factors of Trichinella spiralis Infection in Blood Donors from Western Romania. Medicina 2022, 58(1):128, DOI10.3390/ medicina58010128.
- Project 51-034 / 2007 PNCDI2 – Program 4 Partnerships in Priority Areas: “Possible Epidemiological Chains and Control Methods in Cryptosporidiosis in Animals and Humans” – Contract holder Prof. Dr Gheorghe Dărăbuş (USAMVBT coordinating unit); Popovici Emilian Damian – project coordinator from the partner CRSPT; Bădiţoiu Luminiţa Mirela – member of the research team from CRSPT;
- Project 41121 / 01.10.2008 PNCDI2 – Program 4 Partnerships in Priority Areas: “Study of Molecular Determinants of Multidrug Resistance of Nosocomial and Community Bacterial Strains from South West Romania” – Contract holder Prof. Dr Monica Licker (coordinating unit of UMFT Timisoara); Bădiţoiu Luminiţa Mirela, Anghel Mariana – members of the research team from UMFT;
- PNCA PCCA Project no. 165/2014: “Transferred MicroRNA-Biomarker in the Evaluation of the Impact of Food with Genetically Modified Organisms on the Final Consumer” – Contract holder Prof. Dr Anghel Andrei (UMF Timişoara coordinating unit); Popovici Emilian Damian, Anghel Mariana – members of the research team from UMFT.
- Project PN-III-P2-2.1-SOL-2020-2-0324 Contract no. 24SOL / 17.07 / 2020. Emergency Development of Molecular Instruments for Emergency and Re-Emergence Assessment COVID-19 ”- Project Director Dr Gabriela Rodica Oprișan (National Institute for Medical-Military Research-Development” Cantacuzino”); Popovici Emilian Damian – project coordinator from UMF Timişoara; Bădiţoiu Luminiţa Mirela, Anghel Mariana – members of the research team from UMFT.
- Laitin Sorina. Epidemiological Survey – Students’ Guide. Ed. Mirton, Timişoara 2003, ISBN 973-661-235-X
- Luminita Mirela Bădiţoiu. Study on the Risk Factors Involved in Infections with Multidrug-Resistant Strains of Enterobacteriaceae. EUROBIT Publishing House, Timişoara 2011, ISBN 978-973-620-840-9
- Emilian Damian Popovici, Luminita Mirela Bădiţoiu, Mariana Anghel, Sorina Maria Denisa Laitin. EPIDEMIOLOGIE PRACTICĂ pentru studenţi şi rezidenţi, 4th Edition revised and added, “Victor Babeş” Publishing House, Timişoara 2019, ISBN: 978-606-786-135-8, (ebook)
- Emilian Damian Popovici, Luminita Mirela Bădiţoiu, Mariana Anghel, Sorina Maria Denisa Laitin. ÉPIDÉMIOLOGIE PRATIQUE à l’usage des étudiants et des internes, II Revised and Expanded Edition, “Victor Babeş” Publishing House, Timişoara 2019, ISBN: 978-606-786-136-5, (ebook)
- Emilian Damian Popovici, Luminita Mirela Bădiţoiu, Mariana Anghel, Sorina Maria Denisa Laitin, Radu Pavel. PRACTICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY for Students and Residents, “Victor Babeş” Publishing House, Timişoara 2019, ISBN: 978-606-786-151-8, (ebook)