Address: Eftimie Murgu Square, no.2, 300041, Timişoara
Head of Discipline
The discipline of Clinical pharmacy was part, until September 2021, of the Pharmacology – Clinical pharmacy Department of the Faculty of Pharmacy, a discipline led from its establishment (October 2000) until retirement, in 2020, by Mrs. Prof. Univ. Dr. Carmen Cristescu.
Since September 2021, the discipline of Clinical pharmacy has become an independent discipline, along with Pharmaceutical care and Communication in pharmacy, with the promotion to the position of associate professor of clinical pharmacist Valentina Buda (former member of the Discipline Pharmacology – Clinical pharmacy since 2010).
Clinical pharmacy is a modern pharmaceutical discipline that allows the 5th year student to integrate pharmaceutical and biomedical knowledge into the specific clinical context of the patient, thus acquiring a range of practical skills to respond in a timely and appropriate manner to the particular situation of the patient. The Clinical pharmacy is carried out during the first semester of the 5th year, having allocated 2 hours of course and 2 hours of practical works / clinical internships per week, at the headquarters of the discipline and in various medical departments within the hospitals. The information presented to the student has as essential purpose in his preparation in order to personalize the drug therapy, to prevent and combat the iatrogenic pathology, as well as to evaluate the therapeutic protocol from the point of view of the benefit / risk and benefit / cost ratio.
Clinical pharmacy is considered essential in the process of medical-pharmaceutical care, with the aim of increasing the quality of the therapeutic act, with the lowest costs for the medical system.
The concept of Pharmaceutical care / Soins pharmaceutiques is a relatively new concept designed to continuously improve the use of medicines and maintain / increase the patient’s quality of life. It has been defined as the pharmacist’s commitment to take responsibility for the clinical achievement of the preventive, curative or palliative objectives of pharmacotherapy. Thus, the course of Pharmaceutical care aims to present and analyze the most common medical problems and conditions that require the intervention of the pharmacist: from the prevention of certain pathologies (osteoporosis, coronary heart disease, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, etc.), to the associated recommendation intestinal transit, osteoarthritis, chronic venous insufficiency, etc.), as well as therapeutic counseling (education) of patients. The Pharmaceutical care course takes place during the second semester of the last year of study, being a specialized course for the future pharmacist.
Clinical pharmacy, along with Pharmaceutical care is, today, the substratum of the pharmacist profession, both for the pharmacist in the community pharmacy as well as for the hospital pharmacist.
The Communication in pharmacy course aims to present the specific concepts of communication management in promoting health, techniques and skills of effective communication between pharmacist /pharmacy assistant-patient-physician. This course also aims to identify the most effective methods of educating the patient to improve their adherence to treatment and to better manage their own health problems.
The didactic activity of the discipline assembles:
– courses, practical works and clinical internships for undergraduate programs
– coordination of undergraduate final thesis
– postgraduate continuing education courses for pharmacists/pharmacy assistant/physicians
– coordination of Clinical Pharmacy specialization programme
Discipline research activity is based on the following:
– evaluation of the efficacy and safety of several medicines (e.g. antihypertensives, antipsychotics) or phytocompounds
– evaluation of the prescription and use of certain medicines (either in pediatrics, in the adult population or in the elderly) (appropriate/inappropriate prescribing)
– clinical and pre-clinical studies evaluating substances with pharmacological properties.
– Clinical Pharmacy Internship – Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
– under the coordination of: Anne Spinewine, Olivia Dalleur, Paul Tulkens- Personalized Medicine Internship
– Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands – coordinated by: Peter J. Van der Speak
PII-C4-TC-2016 / 16441-09 – The role of perindopril and candesartan in improving endothelial function in hypertensive patients. Period: 2016 (12 months), total financing: 22.500 RON
5DOC / 1425 / 03.02.2020 – A comprehensive in vitro and in vivo evaluation of Aronia melanocarpa (Michx.) Elliott standardized bio juice on blood pressure levels and endothelial damage. A prospective study. Period 2020 – 2022 (36 months), total funding: 30.000 EURO
PN-III-P1-1.1-TE-2016-1165 – UEFISCDI – Hyphenated and complementary instrumental techniques for the analysis, control and recovery of bioactive compounds used in hormone therapies (RECOTHER). Financing period 2018-2020 (24 months), Budget: 450.000 RON
3POSTDOC / 1238 / 30.01.2020 – Populi gemmae- a double gain for the pharmaceutical field: therapeutic potential and bio-source for green synthesis of silver nanoparticles, project director: conf. Univ. Dr. Corina Danciu, period 2020 – 2022 (36 months), total funding: 50.000 EURO
- Carmen Cristescu, Mirela Voicu, Maria Suciu, Liana Suciu, Valentina Buda. Clinical Pharmacy. Eurobit Publishing. 2015. ISBN 978-973-132-261-2
- Valentina Buda, Minodora Andor, Diana Antal, Florina Ardelean, Ioana Zinuca Pavel, Cristina Dehelean, Codruta Soica, Roxana Folescu, Felicia Andrei, Corina Danciu. Cardioprotective effects of cultivated black chokeberries (Aronia spp.): traditional uses, phytochemistry and therapeutic effects. Natural Products – from bioactive molecules to human health. Ed:IntechOpen 2020, DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.92238, ISBN 978-1-83962-155-0, London, United Kingdom
- Corina Danciu, Diana Antal, Stefana Avram, Valentina Buda, Ioana Zinuca Pavel, Daliana Minda, Florina Ardelean, Mirela Nicolov and Cristina Dehelean. Essential mineral elements: macronutrients and micronutrients from herbs in human health-phytochemicals. Plant sources and potential health benefits, Ed. Iman Ryan, Series: Plant Science Research and Practices, ISBN: 978-1-53615-478-8, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, USA, 2019.
Choice tests book:
- Simona Negreş, Cornel Chiriţă, Titica Maria Dogaru, Camil Eugen Vari, Carmen Cristescu, Cristina Mogoşan, Veronica Bild, …, Valentina Buda, … .Pharmacology grid tests. Medical Publishing House. 2020. 806 pages. ISBN 978-973-39-0878-4
Translations of chapters from international books:
- Barbara G. Wells, Joseph T. Dipiro, Terry L. Schwinghammer, Cecilz V. DiPiro. Manual of Pharmacotherapy. Prior Publishing. 2019. 1008 pages. ISBN 978-973-88039-3-0. The coordinator of the Romanian edition: Adina Popa
Published papers (the most reprezentatives, a non exhaustive list):
- Buda V, Prelipcean A, Cristescu C, Roja A, Dalleur O, Andor M, Danciu C, Ledeti A, Dehelean CA, Cretu O. Prescription Habits Related to Chronic Pathologies of Elderly People in Primary Care in the Western Part of Romania: Current Practices, International Recommendations, and Future Perspectives Regarding the Overuse and Misuse of Medicines. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Jul 1;18(13):7043. doi: 10.3390/ijerph18137043. ISI, impact factor 3.390/2020
- Buda V, Brezoiu AM, Berger D, Pavel IZ, Muntean D, Minda D, Dehelean CA, Soica C, Diaconeasa Z, Folescu R, Danciu C. Biological Evaluation of Black Chokeberry Extract Free and Embedded in Two Mesoporous Silica-Type Matrices. Pharmaceutics. 2020 Sep 1;12(9):838. doi: 10.3390/pharmaceutics12090838. ISI, factor de impact 3.390/2020. ISI, impact factor 6.321/2020
- Buda V, Baul B, Andor M, et al. Solid State Stability and Kinetics of Degradation for Candesartan-Pure Compound and Pharmaceutical Formulation. Pharmaceutics. 2020;12(2):86. doi:10.3390/pharmaceutics12020086. ISI, factor de impact 3.390/2020. ISI, impact factor 6.321/2020
- Buda V, Prelipcean A, Andor M, Dehelean L, Dalleur O, Buda S, Spatar L, Mabda MC, Suciu M, Danciu C, Tudor A, Petrescu L, Cristescu C. Potentially Inappropriate Prescriptions in Ambulatory Elderly Patients Living in Rural Areas of Romania Using STOPP/START (Version 2) Criteria. Clin Interv Aging. 2020; 15:407-417. doi:10.2147/CIA.S233270. ISI, impact factor 4.458/2020
- Radu G, Luca C, Petrescu L, Bordejevic DA, Tomescu MC, Andor M, Citu I, Mavrea A, Buda V et al. The Predictive Value of Endothelial Inflammatory Markers in the Onset of Schizophrenia. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2020;16:545-555. doi:10.2147/NDT.S240349. ISI, impact factor 2.570/2020
- Suciu M, Suciu L, Vlaia V, Voicu M, Buda V, Dragan L, Andor M, Vlaia V, Cristescu C. Prevalence and the patterns of use of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and paracetamol among the general population. Farmacia. 2019; 67(2):337-345, DOI: 10.31925/farmacia.2019.2.20, ISI, impact factor 1.433/2020
- Buda V, Andor M, Cristescu C, Tomescu MC, Muntean DM, Baibata DE, Bordejevic DA, Danciu C, Dalleur O, Coricovac D, Crainiceanu Z, Tudor A, Ledeti I, Petrescu L. Thrombospondin-1 serum levels in hypertensive patients with endothelial dysfunction after one year of treatment with perindopril. Drug Design Development and Therapy. 2019; 13:3515-3526, DOI: 10.2147/DDDT.S218428 , ISI, impact factor 3.216/2019
- Buda V, Andor M, Baibata DE, Cozlac R, Radu G, Coricovac D, Danciu C, Ledeti I, Cheveresan A, Nica C, Tuduce P, Tomescu MC. Decreased sEng plasma levels in hypertensive patients with endothelial dysfunction under chronic treatment with Perindopril. Drug Design Development and Therapy. 2019; 13:1915-1924, doi: 10.2147/DDDT.S186378. ISI, impact factor 3.216/2019
- Andor M, Dehelean L, Romosan AM, Buda V, Radu G, Caruntu F, Bordejevic A, Manea MM, Papava I, Bredicean CA, Romosan RS, Tomescu M. A novel approach to cardiovascular disturbances in patients with schizophrenia spectrum disorders treated with long-acting injectable medication. Neuropsihiatric Disease and Treatment. 2019; 15:349-355. doi: 10.2147/NDT.S186892. ISI, impact factor 2.157/2019
- Cristescu C, Negres S, Suciu M, Voicu A, Buda V, Suciu L, Proks M, Voicu M. Study regarding the parents’ use of self-medication among children under 12 years old. Farmacia. 2018; 66(5):811-819. DOI: 10.31925/farmacia.2018.5.10 ISI, impact factor 1.527/2018
- Dehelean L, Andor M, Romosan AM, Manea MM, Romosan RS, Papava I, Bredicean AC, Buda VO, Tomescu MC. Pharmacological and disorder associated cardiovascular changes in patients with psychosis. A comparison between olazapine and risperidone. Farmacia. 2018; 66(1):129-134 ISI, impact factor 2.228/2018
- Buda V, Andor M, Petrescu L, Cristescu C, Baibata DE, Voicu M, Munteanu M, Citu I, Muntean C, Cretu O, Tomescu MC. Perindopril Induces TSP-1 Expression in Hypertensive Patients with Endothelial Dysfunction in Chronic Treatment. Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 18(2). doi: 10.3390/ijms18020348. ISI, impact factor 3.687/2017
- Buda V, Andor M, Ledeti A, Ledeti I, Vlase G, Vlase T, Cristescu C, Voicu M, Suciu L, Tomescu MC. Comparative Solid-State Stability of Perindopril Active Substance vs. Pharmaceutical Formulation. Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 15;18(1). doi: 10.3390/ijms18010164. ISI, impact factor 3.687/2016
- Buda V, Andor M, Cristescu C, Voicu M, Suciu L, Muntean C, Cretu O, Baibata DE, Gheorghiu CM, Tomescu MC. The influence of perindopril on PTX3 plasma levels in hypertensive patients with endothelial dysfunction. Farmacia. 2016; 64(3):382-389. ISI, impact factor 1.348/2016
- Buda VO, Andor M, Tomescu MC, Cristescu C, Cretu O, Voicu M, Suciu L, Mabda MC, Danciu C, Ledeti I, Petrescu L. Decreased sEng plasma levels in hzpertensive patients under chronic treatment with candesartan cilexitil. Atherosclerosis. 2020; 315:e260, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2020.10.818. ISI, impact factor 5.162/2020
- Buda VO, Dalleur O, Prelipcean A, Buda S, Andor M, Baibata DE, Dohou A, Petrescu L, Cristescu C. Statins and beta blockers – the most frequently encountered potential prescribing omissions in rural Romanian elderly population. Atherosclerosis.2020; 315:e236-e237, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2020.10.745. ISI, impact factor 5.162/2020
- Suciu L, Cristescu C, Suciu M, Voicu M, Buda V, Tomescu M. Evaluation of morbidity and life expectancy based on the Markov prediction model, in a group of patients with essential hypertension in Romania. Atherosclerosis. 2019; 287:E158-159, DOI: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2019.06.477. ISI, impact factor 3.919/2019
- Suciu M, Suciu L, Dragan L, Voicu M, Buda V, Mabda CM, Vlaia L, Andor M, Vlaia V, Negres S, Cristescu C. Appraisal of the knowledge and behaviors of hypertensive patients to self-management of hypertension – a qualitative study in the community pharmacy. Atherosclerosis. 2019; 287:E158-E159, DOI: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2019.06.476. ISI, impact factor 3.919/2019
- Buda V, Andor M, Tomescu MC, Cristescu C, Voicu M, Citu I, Cochera F, Gheorghiu CM, Borcan LC, Glarou ZMA, Tuduce P, Pascu F, Mavrea A, Voicu A, Petrescu L. ACE inhibitors and ARBs decrease more powerful the PTX-3 plasma levels of hypertensive patients with endothelial dysfunction compared with other anti-hypertensive drugs, in a chronic treatment. European Heart Journal, Volume 38, Issue suppl_1, 1 August 2017, ehx502.P2637, https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx502.P2637. ISI, impact factor 23.425/2017
- Buda V, Andor M, Cristescu C, Proks CM, Suciu L, Petrescu L, Andrica FM, Tuduce P, Pop D, Muntean C, Daraban A, Borcan LC, Daneasa D, Tomescu MC. The influence of perindopril on endoglin plasma levels compared with other antihypertensive drugs, in a chronic treatment. European Heart Journal, Volume 38, Issue suppl_1, 1 August 2017, ehx502.P2633, https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx502.P2633. ISI, impact factor 23.425/2017