Address: Eftimie Murgu Square, no.2, 300041, Timisoara
Head of Discipline
The discipline of General and Inorganic Chemistry was established in 1991 within the Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Victor Babeş” Timişoara. The discipline staff consisted of Professor Veronica Chiriac, head of the discipline, and Lecturer Gabriel Balea. In 2000, chemist Codruta Cofan joined the academic staff. In 2004, the head of the discipline became Lecturer pharmacist Mihaiela Andoni. In 2013, Dr. Oana-Raluca Pop joined the discipline team. Currently, the discipline of General and Inorganic Chemistry consists of Assoc. Prof. Raluca Pop (head of discipline) and Assoc. Prof. Mihaiela Andoni.
The study of general chemistry will familiarize the student from the Faculty of Pharmacy with the notion of atoms, atom structure and atomic models. The structure of the atomic nucleus and the electron shells will be studied, as well as the principles underlying the electron configuration. Another important chapter is dedicated to the study of chemical bonding, which aims to familiarize students with the types of chemical bonding and their main characteristics.
Also, the study of inorganic chemistry will familiarize the student of the Faculty of Pharmacy with the properties of over a hundred elements, from metals with very high reactivity (such as sodium) to extremely reactive, aggressive non-metals (such as fluorine) or non-reactive gases (such as noble gases). The discipline establishes the foundations for the knowledge of the structure of atoms and elements, knowledge then used in other specialized pharmaceutical disciplines.
- Research topics
- The study of carbon nanomaterials and their applications in medicine (fullerene precursors, their stability and reactivity, molecular modeling of fullerene interactions with pharmaceutical compounds).
- Quantum-chemical studies on the applications of metal complexes in pharmaceutical compounds.
- Evaluation of the antioxidant character of polyphenolic compounds.
Assoc. Prof. Raluca Pop
- R. Pop. Evaluation of the radical-scavenging properties of various flavonols in ethanol environment: an ab initio study. Croat. Chem. Acta 2019, 92(3), 1-10.
- R. Pop, J. van Staden, M. Diudea. Nitrogen-containing coronenes: theoretical evaluation of the influence of aza-substitution on their aromaticity. Z. Naturforschung A 2015 70(3), 171-175.
- R. Pop, M. Medeleanu, M. V. Diudea, B. Szefler, J. Cioslowski. Fullerenes Patched by Flowers with Octogonal Core. Cent. Eur. J. Chem. 2014, 12(1), 90-97.
- R. Pop, M. N. Ştefănuţ, A. Căta, C. Tănasie, M. Medeleanu. Ab initio study regarding the evaluation of the antioxidant character of cyanidin, delphinidin and malvidin. Cent. Eur. J. Chem. 2012, 10(1), 180-186
- R. Pop, M. Medeleanu, c. Csunderlik. Theoretical considerations on the Hydrolysis of 2-Dichloromethylbenzimidazole. Int. J. Quant. Chem. 2011, 111(12), 2868-2873.
Assoc. Prof. Mihaiela Andoni
- M. Andoni, M. Medeleanu, M. Ştefănuţ, A. Căta, I. Ienaşcu, C. Tănasie, R. Pop. Theoretical determination of the redox electrode potential of cyanidin. J. Serb. Chem. Soc. 2016, 81, 177–186.
- M. Andoni, J. M. Pătraşcu, C. A. Dehelean, G. M. Simu, C. Şoica, D. Antal, R. Pop. Comparisons Between Tridentate Bis(benzazoles)-pyridine and Bis(benzazoles)triazine Ligands: a Theoretical Study. Croat. Chem. Acta 2015, 88, 3, 241-246.
- M. Andoni, R. Pop, C. A. Dehelean, C. Şoica, G. M. Simu, M. Ilici, S. Ardelean. Theoretical study regarding the reactivity of 5-nitrofuran-2-carboxaldehyde thiosemicarbazone. Rev. Chim. 2015, 66, 5, 637-639.
- M. Andoni, A. Iovi, P. Negrea, A. Negrea , M. Ciopec. Studies Regarding the Removing of Mercury from Soil Using Na-EDTA, Na2S2O3 and KI Solutions, Rev. Chim. 2008, 59(6), 653-655.
- M. Andoni, A. Iovi, P. Negrea, L. Lupa, A. Negrea, M. Ciopec. Mercury Removing from the Contamined Soil Using KI Solution. The pH Influence. Rev. Chim. 2008, 59(7), 779-781.
- M. Andoni, R. Pop. Chimie inorganique. Notes de cours. Editura Victor Babeș, Timișoara, 2022. (https://www.umft.ro/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Chimie-inorganique.pdf)
- R. Pop, M. Andoni. Curs de chimie generală pentru studenții farmaciști. Editura Victor Babeș, Timișoara, 2021.(https://www.umft.ro/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/curs_20de_20chimie.pdf)
- R. Pop. Chimie anorganică. Note de curs. Ed. Victor Babeş, Timişoara, 2019. (http://old.umft.ro/data_files/documente-atasate-sectiuni/5394/chimie_20anorganica.pdf)
- R. Pop, M. Andoni. Lucrări practice de Chimie Generală şi Anorganică. Ed. Victor Babeş, Timişoara, 2015; (https://www.umft.ro/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Lucrari_practice_de_chimie_generala_si_organica_ebook.pdf)
- Mihaiela Andoni, Chimie generală. Exerciţii şi probleme, Editura Brumar, Timişoara, 2009.
- Mihaiela Andoni, Chimie Générale, Exercices et problemes, Editura Brumar, Timişoara, 2009.