Address: Square Eftimie Murgu, No. 2, cod 300041, Timișoara
Head of Discipline
📧 E-mail: email@example.com
📧 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
📧 E-mail: email@example.com
The discipline of Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a required discipline within the Faculty of Pharmacy, operating since 1991 within the Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Timisoara. The discipline was founded through the sustained activity of Prof. Dr. Georgeta Lupuţiu who coordinated the didactic and research activity for several years.
Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Therapeutic Chemistry have as objectives the design and synthesis of new chemical structures with potential pharmacological effects, as well as the study of active substances used in drug therapy, including the preparation methods, physico-chemical assessment, pharmacological properties and chemical structure – biological activity relationships (SAR, QSAR).
According to the IUPAC committee definition, Medicinal Chemistry focuses on the discovery, development, identification and interpretation of the molecular mechanism of biologically active compounds. The main objective is the active drug, but the interest of the discipline extends to the study, identification and synthesis of metabolic products of pharmacons and related compounds.
Throughout the study of Pharmaceutical and Therapeutic Chemistry, the knowledge previously acquired by students in fundamental disciplines such as analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry and physical chemistry are used to further develop a strong foundation for other specialized disciplines such as pharmacology and toxicology.
The discipline includes four semesters of education, pharmaceutical chemistry being studied during the third year, and therapeutic chemistry during the fourth year of Pharmacy studies. The didactic activity, both the courses and the practical works, is carried out in Romanian and French languages, the Pharmacy section with teaching in French also functioning within the Faculty of Pharmacy.
General and Applied Biochemistry was added to the discipline starting with the 2021/2022 academic year, aiming to provide the necessary information for the understanding of the biochemical processes that take place in the human body, their mutual relationships as well as the mechanisms of drug action at cellular level.
The educational offer includes the following required/optional courses within the bachelor’s program for pharmacists:
Pharmaceutical Chemistry – required
- Therapeutic Chemistry – required
- General and Applied biochemistry – required
- Descriptive and Metabolic biochemistry – required
- Dietary supplements and OTCs – required
- Principles of structural design and molecular docking – optional
- Notions of good practice and validation in the pharmaceutical field – optional
- Drug metabolism – optional
- Drug Interactions – optional
The research activity of the discipline members aims to optimize the pharmacological profile of active substances (antimicrobial and anticancer chemotherapeutic agents), through complexion with various carrier molecules, such as cyclodextrins, followed by the physico-chemical and biological assessment of the new compounds.
- Synthesis and physico-chemical evaluation of some synthetic and semysinthetic compounds, with antimicrobial and anticancer activity
- The preparation and analysis of nanostructures (complexes with cyclodextrins, liposomes, metal nanoparticles) with pharmacologically active substances, with potential antitumor activity.
- Physico-chemical analysis of the identity and pharmacological profile of some biologically active substances
- Project 1EXP/1233/30.01.2020 LUPSKINPATH “Lupeol as bioactive natural compound in the local treatment of wounds and inflammation from mild to severe pathologies: experimental evaluations and market pre-proposal”, 2020-2022 – director Prof. Soica C, members Mioc M, Ghiulai R, Racoviceanu R.
- Bridge project, PN-III-P2-2.1-BG-2016-0354, Formulations based on betulin and gold nanoparticles in combating the skin aging process, director Prof. Şoica C, members Trandafirescu C, Mioc M, Ghiulai R.
- PII-C5-TC-2017 “Synthesis and preliminary analysis of new derivatives of 3-mercapto,1,2,4-triazole with potential antitumor effect”, director Lecturer Mioc M.
- Ro-Hu bilateral project, contract 674 – 2013, Evaluation of modern pharmaceutical forms obtained by complexing some pentacyclic triterpenes with functionalized polysaccharide derivatives – director Prof. Şoica C, member Trandafirescu C.
- PN II, 665/2013, Impact assessment of UV radiation and antitumor therapy on dermal fibroblasts and in experimental skin cancer – director Prof. Dehelean C, member Prof. Soica C.
- Bilateral Ro-France – RO-FR 789/30.06.2014, Nanostructures with aurones, chalcones and standardized vegetal extracts: development of a new prototype of anti-inflammatory and chemopreventive agent – director Prof. Antal D, member Prof. Soica C.
- Bilateral RO-FR 791/30.06.2014, Obtaining micro-crystals of pentacyclic triterpenes and studying their modifications – director Lecturer Nicolov M, member Prof. Soica C.
- PN-II- 110/2014, Advanced recovery of useful products from used catalysers wastes (REMACAT) – responsible for UMFT Prof. Simu G, member Prof. Soica C.
- PN II code 1257/2007 Study of implementation of vegetal antitumor bioproducts of triterpenic type by nanostructure formation, in skin therapies, by efficacy/toxicity analysis – director Prof. Dehelean C, member Prof. Şoica C.
- AT 173/ 2007 Elaboration of bioproducts with triterpenic compounds and cyclodextrins and their efficacy/toxicity analysis in skin pathologies – director Prof. Dehelean C, member Prof. Soica C.
- PN II PHYTOMEDAS INNOVATION PROJECT, 69/2007 – director Prof. Dehelean C, member Prof. Soica C.
- ET 35/2006 Biotechnologies for bioproducts preparation using the valorification of vegetal indicators of metals from soil – director Butnariu M USAMVBT, member Prof. Soica C.
- Bilateral project RO-China, 198/2009 – Antioxidant activity of chinese materia medica and its chemical composition – director Prof. Dehelean C, member Prof. Soica C.
- “George Emil Palade” University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Sciences and Technology, Târgu Mureș, Faculty of Pharmacy
- “Grigore T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharmacy Iasi, Faculty of Pharmacy
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Carol Davila” Bucharest, Faculty of Pharmacy
- Szeged University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hungary
- Saarland University, Saarbrucken, Germany
- Milan A., Mioc A., Prodea A., Mioc M., Buzatu R., Ghiulai R., Racoviceanu R., Caruntu F., Șoica C. The Optimized Delivery of Triterpenes by Liposomal Nanoformulations: Overcoming the Challenges. . Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2022, 23, 1140.
- Prodea A., Mioc A., Banciu C., Trandafirescu C., Milan A., Racoviceanu R., Ghiulai R., Mioc M., Șoica C. The Role of Cyclodextrins in the Design and Development of Triterpene-Based Therapeutic Agents. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2022, 23, 736.
- Smirnova, I., Draghici, G., Kazakova, O., Vlaia, L., Abram, S., Mioc, A., Mioc, M., Macasoi, I., Dehelean, C., Voicu, A., Șoica, C. Hollongdione arylidene derivatives induce antiproliferative activity against melanoma and breast cancer through pro-apoptotic and antiangiogenic mechanisms. Bioorg Chem. 2022 Feb; 119:105535
- Kazakova, O., Racoviceanu, R., Petrova, A., Mioc, M., Militaru, A., Udrescu, L., Udrescu, M., Voicu, A., Cummings, J., Robertson, G., Ordway, D. J., Slayden, R. A., Șoica, C. New Investigations with Lupane Type A-Ring Azepane Triterpenoids for Antimycobacterial Drug Candidate Design. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2021, 22, 12542
- Şoica C, Voicu M, Ghiulai R, Dehelean C, Racoviceanu R, Trandafirescu C; Rosca OJ, Nistor G, Mioc M, Mioc A. Natural Compounds in Sex Hormone-Dependent Cancers: The Role of Triterpenes as Therapeutic Agents. Front. Endocrinol. 2021 Jan 21;11:612396
- Ghiulai, R., Rosca, O. J., Antal, D. S., Mioc, M., Mioc, A., Racoviceanu, R., Macasoi, I., Olariu, T., Dehelean, C., Cretu, O.M., Voicu, M., Șoica, C. Tetracyclic and Pentacyclic Triterpenes with High Therapeutic Efficiency in Wound Healing Approaches. MOLECULES, 2020 Nov 26;25(23):5557.
- Kazakova, O, Lopatina, T, Giniyatullina, G, Mioc, M, Șoica, C. . Antimycobacterial activity of azepanobetulin and its derivative: In vitro, in vivo, ADMET and docking studies. Bioorg Chem. 2020 Nov;104:104209.
- Racoviceanu, R., Trandafirescu, C., Voicu, M., Ghiulai, R., Borcan, F., Dehelean, C., Watz, C., Aigner, Z., Ambrus, R., Coricovac, D. E., Circioban, D., Mioc, A., Szuhanek, C.A., & Șoica, C. Solid Polymeric Nanoparticles of Albendazole: Synthesis, Physico-5 Chemical Characterization and Biological Activity. Molecules 2020, 25, 5130
- Mioc A., Mioc M., Ghiulai R., Voicu M., Babuta R., Trandafirescu C., Dehelean C., Coricovac D., Soica C., Gold nanoparticles as targeted delivery systems and theranostic agents in cancer therapy. Curr Med Chem. 2019;26(35):6493-6513.
- Mioc M, Avram S, Bercean V, Kurunczi L, Ghiulai R, Oprean C, Coricovac D, Dehelean C, Mioc A, Balan-Porcarasu M, Tatu C, Soica C, Design, Synthesis and Biological Activity Evaluation of S-Substituted 1H-5-Mercapto-1,2,4-Triazole Derivatives as Antiproliferative Agents in Colorectal Cancer, Frontiers In Chemistry, 6, Article: 373, 2018.
- Mioc M, Pavel IZ, Ghiulai R, Coricovac DE, Farcas C, Mihali CV, Oprean C, Serafim V, Popovici RA, Dehelean CA, Stihlman MI, Tsatsakis AM, Şoica C. The Cytotoxic Effects of Betulin-Conjugated Gold Nanoparticles as Stable Formulations in Normal and Melanoma Cells. Frontiers In Pharmacology, 2018, Art. No.429.
- Mioc M, Soica C, Bercean V, Avram S, Balan-Porcarasu M, Coricovac D, Ghiulai R, Muntean D, Andrica F, Dehelean C, Spandidos DA, Tsatsakis AM, Kurunczi L.Design, synthesis and pharmaco-toxicological assessment of 5-mercapto-1,2,4-triazole derivatives with antibacterial and antiproliferative activity. Int J Oncol. 2017 Apr;50(4):1175-1183.
- Oprean C, Mioc M, Csányi E, Ambrus R, Bojin F, Tatu C, Cristea M, Ivan A, Danciu C, Dehelean C, Paunescu V, Soica C. Improvement of ursolic and oleanolic acids’ antitumor activity by complexation with hydrophilic cyclodextrins. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016 Oct;83:1095-1104.
- Avram S, Ghiulai R, Pavel IZ, Mioc M, Babuta R, Voicu M, Coricovac D, Danciu C, Dehelean C, Soica C. Phytocompounds targeting cancer angiogenesis using the chorioallantoic membranes assay. INTECH, Phytochemistry – Natural Products and Cancer. 2017. ISBN 978-953-51-5277-4.
- Soica C, Pinzaru I, Trandafirescu C, Andrica F, Danciu C, Mioc M, Coricovac D, Sitaru C, Dehelean C. Silver-, gold-, and iron-based metallic nanoparticles: Biomedical applications as theranostic agents for cancer. ELSEVIER, Design of Nanostructures for Theranostics Applications. 2018. ISBN: 978-0-12-813669-0
- Soica C, Danciu C, Savoiu-Balint G, Borcan F, Ambrus R, Zupko I, Bojin F, Coricovac D, Ciurlea S, Avram S, Dehelean C.A, Olariu T, Matusz P. Betulinic Acid in Complex with a Gamma-Cyclodextrin Derivative Decreases Proliferation and in Vivo Tumor Development of Non-Metastatic and Metastatic B164A5 Cells. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2014, 15, 8235-8255.
- Şoica C, Oprean C, Borcan F, Danciu C, Trandafirescu C, Coricovac D, Crăiniceanu Z, Dehelean C, Munteanu M, The synergistic biologic activity of oleanolic and ursolic acids in complex with hydroxypropyl-γ-cyclodextrin, Molecules 2014, 19, 4924-4940.
- Şoica C, Trandafirescu C, Danciu C, Muntean D, Dehelean C, Simu G – New Improved Drug Delivery Technologies for Pentacyclic Triterpenes: A Review, Protein Pept Lett, 2014, vol. 21, nr. 11, 1137-1145.
- Trandafirescu C, Gyéresi A, Szabadai Z, Kata M, Aigner Z – Solid-state characterization of bifonazole – beta-cyclodextrin binary systems. Note I, Pharmacy, vol. 62, no. 3, 2014, 521-531.
- Trandafirescu C, Gyéresi Á, Szabadai Z, Pătruţescu C, Kata M, Aigner Z – Solid-state characterization of bifonazole – random methyl-beta-cyclodextrin binary systems, Farmacia, vol. 61, nr. 3, pp. 609-616, 2013
- Şoica C, Dehelean C, Danciu C, Wang HM, Wenz G, Ambrus R, Bojin F, Anghel M, Betulin Complex in γ-Cyclodextrin Derivatives: Properties and Antineoplasic Activities in In Vitro and In Vivo Tumor Models, Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2012, 13(11), 14992-15011.
- Wang HM, Soica C, Wenz G, A comparison investigation on the solubilization of betulin and betulinic acid in cyclodextrin derivatives, Nat Prod Comm, 2012, 7(3): 289-291.
- Soica C, Peev C, Dehelean C, Aluas M, Zupko I, Kasa Peter, Alexa E, Physico-chemical comparison study of betulinic acid, betulin and birch bark extract and in vitro investigation of their cytotoxic effects towards skin epidermoid carcinoma (A431), breast carcinoma (MCF7) and cervix adenocarcinoma (HeLa) cell-lines, Natural Product Research, 2012, 26(10): 968-974
- Cristina Trandafirescu, Florin Borcan, Cristina Pătruțescu. Chimie pharmaceutique- Travaux pratiques, Ed. Mirton 2021
- Cristina Trandafirescu, Roxana Racoviceanu, Marius Mioc, Roxana Ghiulai. Chimie farmaceutică- Lucrări de laborator, Ed. Mirton 2021
- Codruţa Şoica, Florin Borcan, Cristina Trandafirescu, Chimia şi acţiunea antisepticelor şi dezinfectantelor, Ed. Victor Babeş Timişoara, 2013
- Codruţa Şoica, Cristina Trandafirescu, Chimie Farmaceutică: Medicaţia aparatelor şi sistemelor. Vol. I, Ed. Victor BabeşTimişoara, 2013
- Codruţa Şoica, Chimie farmaceutică. Terapia cu antibiotice antibacteriene, Ed. Mirton, Timişoara, 2007
- Cristina Trandafirescu, Codruţa Şoica, Cristina Pătruţescu, Florin Borcan, Chimie farmaceutică. Lucrări de laborator, Ed. Mirton, Timişoara, 2012
- Codruţa Şoica, Cristina Trandafirescu, Cristina Pătruţescu – Chimie Farmaceutică. Lucrări practice de laborator, Ed. Mirton, Timişoara, 2008
- Abraham D.J., Burger’s medicinal chemistry and drug discovery, 6th ed., vol I – VI, Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Block J.H., Beale J.M., Wilson and Gisvold’s, Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, ed. a XI-a, Ed. Lippincott Williams &Wilkins, 2004
- Dănilă G., Medicamente moderne de sinteză, Ed. All, 1994, Bucureşti
- Dănilă G., Chimie farmaceutică, vol. I, Ed. All, Bucureşti, 1996
- Fischer J., C. Ganellin R.C., Analogue based drug discovery, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH&Co, 2006
- Haţieganu E., Stecoza C., Chimie Terapeutică, vol. I şi vol. II, Ed. Medicală, Bucureşti, 2008
- Jie Jack Li et al., Contemporary drug synthesis, Wiley Interscience, 2004 – on CD
- Johnson D., Jie Jack Li, The art of drug synthesis, Wiley & Sons, 2007 – on CD
- Kirkiacharian S., Guide de Chimie Pharmaceutique, Ed. Ellipses, Paris, 1996
- Landry Y., Rival Y., Dictionnaire pharmaceutique. Pharmacologie et chimie des medicaments, Ed. Lavoisier, 2007
- Lupuţiu Georgeta, Doina Ghiran, Medicaţia antiinfecţioasǎ. Chimioterapice cu specificitate limitatǎ, Casa de editurǎ Sarmis, Cluj-Napoca, 1995
- Lednicer D., Strategies for organic drug synthesis and design, second ed., Wiley &Sons Inc., New Jersey, 2009
- Lemke T., Review of organic functional groups, 4th ed., Ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003
- Machin D., Michael J. Campbell, Design of studies for medical research, Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2005
- Mukund S. Chorghade, Drug discovery and development, vol. 2, Wiley Interscience, 2007 – on CD
- Mureşan Ana, Mariana Palage, Chimie Terapeuticǎ. Medicamente utilizate în afecţiuni cardiovasculare, Ed. Accent, Cluj-Napoca, 2000
- Mureşan Ana, Mariana Palage, Medicaţia afecţiunilor sistemului nervos central, Ed. Medicalǎ Universitarǎ Iuliu Haţieganu, Cluj-Napoca, 2006
- Oniga O., Brânduşa Tiperciuc, Antiseptice şi dezinfectante, Ed. Medicalǎ Universitarǎ Iuliu Haţieganu, Cluj-Napoca, 2002
- Oniga O., Brânduşa Tiperciuc, Antibiotice antibacteriene, Ed. Medicalǎ Universitarǎ Iuliu Haţieganu, Cluj-Napoca, 2003
- Neidle S., Cancer Drug Design and discovery, Elsevier Inc., 2008 – on CD
- Newton D., Chemistry of drugs, Fact on File Inc., New York, 2007
- Rama Rao Nadendla, Principles of organic medicinal chemistry, New Age International Ltd., 2005, New Delhi – on CD
- Rick N.G., Drugs: from discovery to approval, Wiley-Liss, 2004 – on CD
- Rusu G., Gheorghe Dănilă, Medicamente chinolonice. Prezent şi viitor în chimioterapia antiinfecţioasă, Ed. Gh. Asachi, Iaşi, 2001
- Tamas Barfai, Graham V. Lees, Drug discovery – from Bedside to Wall Street, Elsevier Academic Press, 2006
- Vardanyan R.S., Hruby V.J., Synthesis of essential drugs, Elsevier Inc., 2006 – on CD
- Williams D.A., Lemke T.L., Foye’s principles of Medicinal Chemistry, ed. a V-a , Ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2002
- Ziwei Huang, Drug discovery research. New frontiers in the post-genomic era, Wiley Interscience, 2007 – on CD
- *** Drugs in pregnancy and the first year of life: a pharmacopoeia, BMJ Publishing Group, 2003 – on CD
- David L. Nelson, Michael M. Cox. Principles of biochemistry, ed a VII-a, ED w.h. freeman, 2017- on CD
- DM Vasudevan, Sreekumari S, Kannan Vaidyanathan. Textbook of biochemistry for medical students, ed a VII-a, Ed. JAYPEE BROTHERS MEDICAL PUBLISHERS, 2013- on CD