The application for renewal must be submitted to the Police Foreign Section at least one month before the current permit expires.
1. International students may apply for a renewal of their residence permit as follows:
a) in the case of undergraduate or postgraduate students, for successive periods of up to one year, if:
- (i) they are enrolled in a public or private higher education institution, accredited according to Romanian law, full-time attendance, including doctoral studies;
- (ii) they can prove that they have paid their tuition fee;
- (iii) they can show documentation of subsistence (the amount required is the net minimum salary per economy), covering the entire validity of the residence permit;
b) in the case of exchange students, for a period no longer than one year, if:
- (i) they are enrolled in a public or private higher education institution, accredited according to Romanian law, full-time attendance;
- (ii) they participate in an exchange programme initiated by a legally established organisation and having the right to carry out such exchanges;
- (iii) the organising institution that initiates the exchange takes responsibility for ensuring their accommodation, means of subsistence and possible costs incurred by the returning to the home country.
2. Foreign citizens of Romanian origin may get their temporary student residence permit renewed, without observing the stipulations under paragraph (1) a) (iii).
The temporary student residence permit may be renewed for maximum 90 days after graduation, until they settle their academic situation and they get their study documents endorsed.