Address: Eftimie Murgu Square, no. 2, 300041, Timisoara
Phone: 0256/204250, interior 1407
Head of Discipline
📧 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The first professor to honor, with his prestige, in the period 1945-1946, the Discipline of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, was Prof. Dr. Mircea D. Mezincescu. The scientific activity of Prof. Dr. Mircea D. Mezincescu consisted of valuable contributions in the field of nutrition, nitrogen metabolism and the etiology of some deficiency diseases. To evaluate nitrogen nutrition he proposed a simple biochemical test (determination of hepatic xanthine oxidase activity).
Between 1946 and 1969, the head of the Biological Chemistry Discipline was Prof. Dr. Mihai Vanghelovici, one of the founders of the medical school in Timişoara. As a recognition of his merits in teaching and science, he had the titles of: doctoral professor, member of the Society of Chemistry in France. In 1934, Professor Vanghelovici hypothesized that squalene was an intermediate in cholesterol biosynthesis, and in 1936 he provided the relevant experimental evidence.
Between 1969-1976, the Department of Biological Chemistry and Clinical Biochemistry is headed by Prof. Dr. Doc. Tănăsescu Gheorghe, who led the Laboratory of Experimental Medicine between 1971-1976.
From 1976 to 1997, the discipline of Biochemistry-Biotechnics was led by Prof. Dr. Geza Deutsch, a member of the European Society of Nuclear Medicine since 1974, a full member of the Academy of Medical Sciences since 1994, a full member of the European Academy of Sciences and Salzburg Arts since 1996.
In the field of medical activity, Prof. Dr. Geza Deutsch is the one who introduced for the first time in Timisoara the uses of radioactive isotopes for diagnosis and scientific research. Scientific research has addressed issues such as glycosylated hemoglobins in diabetes and renal failure, bisphosphate hexoses in the control of functional biochemistry, RIA method for plasma angiotensin II determination, improved radiochemical method for serum thyroxine investigation, .
From 1997 to 2004, the Department of Biochemistry was chaired by Prof. Dr. Vasile Rusu. The scientific research activity of Prof. Dr. Vasile Rusu, is materialized by the development of new microspectrometric methods for the determination of carbon monoxide, new microspectrometric methods for the determination of chromium in the oxidation state three, arsenic, ascorbic acid, oxalates, formates, hydrazine, 1,4-dihydrazine-phthalazine using silver-sulfonamide reagents in an alkaline medium.
Since 2004, the Discipline of Biochemistry is led by Prof. Dr. Andrei Anghel, who has conducted research related to the introduction of genetic markers and techniques of biochemistry and molecular biology in the diagnosis, prognosis and therapeutic orientation in degenerative diseases, including the method of genotyping in individual identification. . Initiates and conducts the first clinical study of the application of angiogenetic gene therapy. At the didactic level, the Clinical Biochemistry course is introduced, oriented on diagnostic and therapeutic applications.
The Biochemistry discipline carries out its activity in the main building (Pţa Eftimie Murgu, no. 2) of the “Victor Babeş” University of Medicine and Pharmacy from Timişoara, having the following activity spaces:
- in the basement, the Biochemistry Amphitheater, laboratories for students of the Faculty of General Medicine and Colleges of Health Care and scientific research laboratories
- on the first floor, laboratories for students of the Faculty of General Medicine and scientific research laboratories
- on the second floor, laboratories for students of the Faculty of Dentistry, the Faculty of Pharmacy and the Colleges of Health Care
In order to create an optimal framework for the development of a quality education with the objective of acquiring theoretical and practical knowledge, courses and guides of practical works printed and periodically reviewed are provided. The presentation of the courses is permanently associated with practical applications of biochemistry knowledge in the medical practice of most clinical disciplines.
The courses edited by the Biochemistry team can be found in the Library of the “Victor Babeş” University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Timişoara:
- Clinical biochemistry for medical students, Andrei Anghel, Edward Şeclăman, Dana David, Cătălin Marian, Liviu Tămaş, Ovidiu Sîrbu, 2017, Victor Babeş Publishing House, Timişoara, ISBN 978-606-786-055-9.
- Metabolic biochemistry with clinical applications, Andrei Anghel, Liviu Tămaş, Edward Şeclăman, 2017, Eurostampa Publishing House, Timişoara, ISBN 978-606-569-558-0.
- Medical biochemistry for medical students. Living matter – structure and composition, Andrei Anghel, Edward Şeclăman, Liviu Tămaş, Ioan-Ovidiu Sîrbu, Anca Marcu, 2016, Victor Babeş Publishing House, Timişoara, ISBN 978-606-786-016-0.
- Biochemistry for health care colleges, Daniela Ştefania Grecu, Camelia Vidiţa Gurban, Diana Camelia Bonţe, 2019, Victor Babeş Publishing House, ISBN 978-606-786-116-7.
- Biochemistry of Metabolism for Medical Students, Cătălin Marian, Andrei Anghel, Edward Şeclăman, Adriana Kaycsa, Ioan Ovidiu Sîrbu, Liviu Tămaş, 2016, Victor Babeş Publishing House, Timişoara, ISBN 978-606-786-010-8.
- Nucleic acids and the processing of the information. Signaling at the cellular level clinical biochemistry for the medicine faculties students, Andrei Anghel, Edward Şeclăman, Diana Nariţa, Liviu Tămaş, Corina Samoilă, 2009, Eurostampa Publishing House, Timişoara, ISBN 978-973-687-930-2.
- Notions of chemistry and biochemistry of the oral cavity, teeth and dental materials, Marilena Motoc, Andrei Anghel, Corina Samoilă, Felicia Sfrijan, Corina Flangea, Alina Şerb, Daniela Grecu, 2006, Eurostampa Publishing House, Timişoara, ISBN 973-687-496-6 .
The practical guides published by the Biochemistry team can be found in the Library of the “Victor Babeş” University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Timişoara:
- Practical works of medical chemistry and biochemistry for medical students, Anghel Andrei, Şeclăman Edward, Tămaş Liviu, Motoc Marilena, Şişu Eugen, Kaycsa Adriana, David Dana, Sîrbu Ioan Ovidiu, Marian Cătălin, Samoilă Corina, Grecu Daniela, Sfrijan Felri Georgescu Alina, Marcu Anca, Buzatu Ramona, Bonţe Diana, Gurban Camelia, Alexa Anda, Bujor Georgeta, Liana Mărieş, Mihala Adrian, Sala-Cârtog Maria, 2019, Victor Babeş Publishing House, Timişoara, ISBN 978-606-786-138-9 .
- Practical works on pharmaceutical biochemistry, Andrei Anghel, Adriana Kaycsa, Liviu Tămaş, Alina Georgescu, Anca Marcu, Ramona Buzatu, Adrian Mihala, Maria Sala-Cîrtog, Alexandra Moatăr, Aimee Chiş, 2019, Victor Babeş Publishing House, ISBN 978-606-786 -148-8.
- Chemistry and Biochemistry Practical Works-Applications in Clinic Laboratory for the Medicine Faculties, Anghel Andrei, Kaycsa Adriana, Nariţa Diana, Samoilă Corina, 2009, Eurostampa Publishing House, Timişoara, ISBN 978-973-687-928-9.
The scientific research activity of the volunteer students, within the Biochemistry discipline, is an important component in their professional training and is based on their involvement, permanent support and stimulation in the research activity, by organizing the biochemistry scientific circle, guiding in the elaboration of works for student science sessions and dipoma papers. Also, doctoral students and resident doctors are involved in the scientific research activity, the research results being capitalized by the elaboration of doctoral theses and by the publication of articles in national and international specialized journals.
Starting with the academic year 2013-2014, within the Biochemistry discipline, the tutoring system was implemented, the students of the Faculty of General Medicine, from years IV-V being involved in the didactic activity within the practical works / seminars and in the scientific research activity, based on a volunteer contract.
The following scientific research structures operate within the discipline of Biochemistry:
- UMF ” Victor Babeş ” Cell and Tissue Biobank Timişoara (http://www.umft.ro/biobanca_782)
- Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory, Gednap Certification, GermanDNAProfiling, ISO 9001: 2008
- Biomarkers Laboratory in Degenerative Diseases
- Research platform dedicated to gene and cell therapies
Among the significant scientific achievements of the discipline:
- The first use in Romania of DNA genotyping in the identification of persons and the expertise of filiation for forensic purposes
- The first use in Romania of genetic markers for diagnosis and prognosis in degenerative diseases
- Initiation of the first applied research studies on the introduction of angiogenetic gene therapy in cardiovascular diseases
- Studies on the role of retinoids in upper limb limb embryogenesis in mammals
- The first study of pharmacogenetics in breast cancer
- The first studies of the transfer of genetic material from plants to humans
The most representative scientific papers listed by ISI, published by the Biochemistry team, are:
- Anghel A., Ţăranu G., Şeclăman E., Rata A., Tămaş L., Moldovan H., Ursoniu S., Samoilă C., Ionac M., Popa-Wagner A., Safety of vascular endothelial and hepatocyte growth factor gene therapy in patients with critical limb ischemia, Curr Neurovasc Res. 2011; 8 (3): 183-9.
- Anghel A., Raica M., Marian C., Ursoniu S., Caraion C., Mitrasca O., Combined profile of the tandem repeatsCAG, TA and CA of the androgen and estrogen genes in breast cancer, Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, 2006; 132 (11): 727-33.
- Sala-Cîrtog M., Marian C., Anghel A., New insights of medicinal plant therapeutic activity — The miRNA transfer, Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, Volume 74, 2015, 228–232.
- Anghel A., Enache A., Şeclăman E., Gruin G., Ursoniu S., Alexa A., Antonescu M., Marian C., Genetic polymorphism data on 15 autosomal STR markers in a Western Romanian population sample, Leg Med ( Tokyo). 2014; 16 (4): 238-40.
- E. Şeclăman, L. Balacescu, O. Balacescu, C. Bejinar, M. Udrescu, C. Marian, IO Sîrbu, A. Anghel, MicroRNAs mediate liver transcriptome changes upon soy diet intervention in mice, J Cell Mol Med. 2019, 23: 2263-2267.
- E. Şeclăman, D. Nariţa, A. Anghel, N. Cireap, R. Ilina, IO Sîrbu, C. Marian, MicroRNA Expression in Laser Micro-dissected Breast Cancer Tissue Samples-a Pilot Study, Pathology & Oncology Research, 2019, 25 (1): 233-239.
- D. Marian, D. Rusu, SI Stratul, H. Calniceanu, A. Sculean, A. Anghel, Association of Vitamin D Receptor Gene Polymorphism with Chronic Periodontitis in a Population in Western Romania, Oral Health Prev Dent, 2019, 17: 157 -165.
- Mang N., Vizitiu AC, Anghel A., Changes in the peripheral blood cell count in pediatric patients with Down syndrome, J Int Med Res., 2019, 47 (8): 3757-3762.
- Llanos AA, Marian C., Brasky TM, Dumitrescu RG, Liu Z., Mason JB, Makambi KH, Spear SL, Kallakury
- BV, Freudenheim JL, Shields PG, Associations between genetic variation in one-carbon metabolism andLINE-1DNAmethylation in histologically normal breast tissues, Epigenetics, 2015, 10 (8): 727-735.
- Balacescu O., Petruţ B., Tudoran O., Feflea D., Bălăcescu L., Anghel A., Sîrbu IO, Şeclăman E., Marian C., Urinary microRNAs for prostate cancer diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment response: are we there yet ?, Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA, 2017; 8 (6).
- Hempel A., Kühl SJ, Rothe M., Rao Tata P., Sîrbu IO, Vainio SJ, Kühl M., The CapZ interacting protein Rcsd1 is required for cardiogenesis downstream of Wnt11a in Xenopus laevis, Dev Biol., 2017, 424 ( 1): 28-39.
- Enătescu VR, Papava I., Enătescu I., Antonescu M., Anghel A., Şeclăman E., Sîrbu IO, Marian C., Circulating
- Plasma Micro RNAs in Patients with Major Depressive Disorder Treated with Antidepressants: A Pilot Study. Psychiatry Investig. 2016; 13 (5): 549-557.
- Nariţa D., Şeclăman E., Anghel A., Ilina R., Cireap N., Negru S., Sîrbu IO, Ursoniu S., Marian C., Altered levels of plasma chemokines in breast cancer and their association with clinical and pathological characteristics, Neoplasma, 2016; 63 (1): 141-149.
- Şerb AF, Şişu E., Vukelić Ž., Zamfir AD, Profiling and Sequencing of Gangliosides from Human Caudate Nucleus by Chip-Nanoelectrospray Mass Spectrometry, J Mass Spectrom., 2012: 47 (12): 1561-1570.
- Matos Do Canto L., Marian C., Varghese RS, Ahn J., Da Cunha PA, Willey S., Sidawy M., Rone JD, Cheema AK, Luta G., Nezami Ranjbar MR, Ressom HW, Haddad BR, Metabolomic profiling of breast tumors using ductal fluid, Int J Oncol., 2016; 49 (6): 2245-2254.
- Do Canto LM, Marian C., Willey S., Sidawy M., Da Cunha PA, Rone JD, Li X., Gusev Y., Haddad BR, MicroRNA analysis of breast ductal fluid in breast cancer patients, Int J Oncol., 2016; 48 (5): 2071-8.
- Ciucanu I., Pilat L., Ciucanu CI, Şişu E., Dumitraşcu V., Simultaneous analysis of neutral monosaccharides, fatty acids and cholesterol as biomarkers from a drop of blood, Bioanalysis, 2016, 8 (20): 2147-2156.
- Ochs-Balcom HM, Marian C., Nie J., BraskyTM, Goerlitz DS, Trevisan M., Edge SB, Winston J., Berry DL, Kallakury BV, Freudenheim JL, Shields PG, Adiposity is associated with p53 gene mutations in breast cancer, Breast Cancer Res Treat., 2015; 153 (3): 635-45.
- Pandur P., Sîrbu IO, Kühl SJ, Philipp M., Kühl M., Islet1 expressing cardiac progenitor cells: A comparison across species, Development, Genes and Evolution, 223 (1-2): 117-29, 2013.
- Ghiulai RM, Galusca M., ŞişuI., Şişu E., Zamfir AD, High resolution mass spectrometric characterization of amino linked oligosaccharides a preliminary study, Cent. Eur. J. Chem., 2013, 11 (8), 1309-1319.
- Tata PR, Tata NR, Kühl M., Sîrbu IO, Identification of a novel epigenetic regulatory region within the pluripotency associated microRNA cluster, EEmiRC. Nucleic Acids Res., 2011, 39 (9): 3574-3581.
- Woltering JM, Vonk FJ, Müller H., Bardine N., Tuduce IL, de Bakker MA, Knöchel W., Sîrbu IO, Durston AJ, Richardson MK, Axial patterning in snakes and caecilians: evidence for an alternative interpretation of the Hox code , Dev Biol., 2009, 332 (1): 82-89.
- Flangea C., Şerb A., Şişu E., Zamfir AD, Chip-based nanoelectrospray mass spectrometry of brain gangliosides, Biochim Biophys Acta: Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, 2011: 1811 (9), 513-535.
Among the reference research projects, carried out within the Biochemistry discipline team:
- PN II – Partnerships research direction – funding contract no. 41-052I / 24.09.2007, 4 – health, treatment of peripheral vascular complications in diabetes and nondiabetic arteriopathy using angiogenetic gene therapy A. Anghel program director.
- PN II program – Capacities (module I, type PI) – financing contract no. 98 / cp / I / 14.09.2007, Center of expertise for the determination of biomarkers in degenerative diseases (cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases) A. Anghel program director .
- CNCSIS contract no.73GR / 08.05.2006 CNCSIS code 748/2006, Identification of new therapeutic targets in breast cancer at the level of the functional domains of the estrogen receptor. A. Anghel program director.
- PN-II-PT-PCCA-2013-4-0443, Transferred microRNAs as biomarkers for evaluating the impact of genetically modified organisms on the consumer end. A. Anghel project manager.
- PN -II -80 -2012, Cellular Therapeutic approaches for regenerative stroke. A. Anghel program director.
- ID-2494, Investigation of the endothelial repair capacity of endothelial progenitor cells – a new biomarker in the evaluation of predisposition, therapeutic attitude and prognosis in metabolic syndrome. A. Anghel project manager.
- Contract CNFIS-FDI-2019-0468, Excellence in doctoral and master’s research within UMFVBT by increasing and diversifying research resources. E. Project manager.
- PN-II-ID-PCE-2012-4-0279, Prostate cancer specific miRNAs: evaluation as biomarkers in biological fluids and their role in the carcinogenic process. C. Marian project manager.
- PN-III-P2-2.1-PED-2016-0735, Plasma microRNA biomarkers in Parkinson’s disease. IO Sîrbu project director.
- PN-III-P4-ID-PCE-2016-0371, Long non coding RNAs (lncRNAs) in biological fluids: potential biomarkers in prostate cancer and their role in the carcinogenic process.C. Marian project manager.
- PN-II-ID-PCE-2012-4-0575, Retinoic acid-Wnt signaling interactions during early axial development of the mouse embryo. IO Sîrbu project director.
- PN-II-PT-PCCA-2011-3.1-087, Obtaining functionalized polysaccharides for applications in biomedicine and biotechnology. E. And project manager.
- PD -43-2011, Determination and structural analysis of glycolipid biomarkers in brain metastases of human tumors by high performance electrospray mass spectrometry. A. Serb project manager.