Address: Blv. Liviu Rebreanu 156, et. 2, Clinica ATI
Head of Discipline
The discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care within the University of Medicine and Pharmacy ”Victor Babeș” Timișoara is part of Department X, Surgery II and provides education in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care specialty for the sixth year students of the Faculty of Medicine, specialty General Medicine, for the fourth year students of the speciality General Medical Assistance and for the resident doctors from Anaesthesia and Intensive Care as well as for other specialties that have Anaesthesia and Intensive Care included in their curricula (medical emergencies, general surgery, paediatric surgery, infectious diseases, internal medicine, cardiology, neurology, pneumology, haematology, clinical pharmacology, etc.).
The headquarters of the Discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care is in the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care within The Emergency Clinical County Hospital ”Pius Brînzeu” Timișoara, which is the largest University Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care in the western part of the country. In 2021 the Clinic included a total of 70 ICU beds, organized in the following compartments:
- Intensive Care – 35 beds, including 5 beds for Toxicology
- Intensive Care Multitraumatology, Plastic Surgery and Burns Department – 5 beds
- Intensive Care – Orthopedics – 11 beds
- Intensive Care in Obstetrics and Gynaecology – 6 beds
- Postoperative Intensive Care – 9 beds
- Paediatric Intensive Care – 4 beds
The Clinic of Intensive Care provides care to critically ill patients suffering from life threatening organ disfunctions of different etiologies. Due to its characteristics of a regional, 1st degree and teaching hospital, the Emergency Clinical County Hospital Timișoara admits to the ICU Department patients coming both from Timiș but also from neighbour counties (Arad, Hunedoara, Caraș-Severin, Mehedinți and other counties).
In the same time with the ICU activity, the Anaesthesia Department from different operating theatres/sectors provides complex anaesthetic procedures, using high safety standards, for different categories of surgical patients in the surgery clinics (general surgery, vascular surgery, urology, neurosurgery, plastic surgery and burn patients, orthopedic section, poly-traumatology, thoracic surgery, obstetrics and gynecology) as well as for diagnostic and therapeutic gastroenterological interventions (superior and inferior digestive endoscopy, ERCP, echo-endoscopy, etc.) and peripheral cerebral and vascular angiography.
Since 2001, the Discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care within the University of Medicine and Pharmacy ”V. Babeș” Timișoara and the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care within the Emergency Clinical Hospital ”Pius Brînzeu” Timișoara are managed by Professor Doctor Dorel Săndesc.
Since 2003, the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care took part in a continuous process of modernization. The most obvious change took place in 2012, when the Clinic of Intensive Care had been completely renovated and the structure of the rooms had been changed to its actual form, having rooms with 1 and with 2 beds.
The Clinic of Anaesthesia Intensive Care was updated with modern facilities (lodging, technological equipment), being able today to provide all the specific procedures of anaesthesia and intensive care existing at the european level:
- protective artificial ventilation for patients suffering from acute respiratory distress with different etiologies
- non-invasive ventilation and high-flow oxygen therapy (High Flow Nasal Canula)
- oxygenation and extracorporeal CO2 elimination using high-end devices such as Novalung (Xenios) and Cardiohelp (Maquet) for patients in which artificial ventilation is not efficient
- extracorporeal CO2 elimination for patients with hypercapnia using Prolung (Estore) or Omni (BBraun) devices
- continuous renal replacement techniques (continuous hemodiafiltration) for patients with different degrees of renal failure
- absorption techniques of pro-inflammatory endotoxins and cytokines for patients with sepsis or septic shock
- therapeutic plasma exchange (plasmapheresis)
- controlled hypothermia
- total parental nutrition
- managing the organ donor
- diagnostic ultrasonography for the critically ill patient
- diagnostic and therapeutic bronchoscopy, etc.
- hemodynamic complex monitoring
- locoregional and general anaesthesia with complete intraoperative monitoring, etc.
Some statistical data related to the activity of the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care in 2021: more than 2250 patients were admitted every year in the Intensive Care Clinic, different national programs for critical patients customized to their benefit (for example: the Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Priority Actions). Moreover, every year more than 30.000 anaesthetic procedures are performed in the operating theatres of the Emergency Clinical County Hospital Timisoara.
The Non-Profit Association for Anaesthesia and Intensive Care ”Aurel Mogoșeanu” Timișoara (founded in 2003) has an important role in sustaining the activities of the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, a non-governmental organisation that financially and organizationally sustained the development projects, the scientific and the educational projects of the clinic. With the support of the association several resuscitation courses have been organized for the public and private institutions in Timiș county and also numerous charity projects for the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care (rock concerts IRIS, CARGO, WEST Phoenix Cover, Gheorghe Zamfir concerts, folk concerts, symphonic concerts, etc.).
The ”Golden Hour” project managed by the Association for Anaesthesia and Intensive Care ”A. Mogoșeanu” Timișoara and paid from European funds contributed to the education of the medical staff involved in the management of stroke patients.
Since 2018 the Association for Anaesthesia and Intensive Care ”Aurel Mogoșeanu” has organised several activities meant to increase access to healthcare services through the seven medical caravans that took place at Ineleț (Cerna Mountains), Orăștioara de Sus (Șureanu Mountains), Nadăș (Zarand Mountains), the Romanian sketes from Mount Athos, Avram Iancu (Apuseni Mountains –Bihor area) and Râu de Mori (Retezat Mountains), Salciua de Sus (Apuseni Mountains). In each of these journeys, the population from these isolated areas was exposed to clinical and specialized consultations, biological samples collection and high quality imaging examinations.
In 2021, this type of activity continued with 6 medical caravans organised for anti SARS-COV-2 vaccination, providing vaccination of more than 1200 people from isolated areas in Sureanu Mountains (Orăștioara de Sus village), Cerna Mountains (Cornereva village) and Metalliferous Mountains (Certeju de Sus village).
During 23rd – 6th of April 2021, the Vaccination Marathon hosted in Timisoara, organized by the Association for Anaesthesia and Intensive Care ”Aurel Mogoșeanu” provided vaccination in record time (64 hours) of 6722 people with the help of more than 300 volunteer medical professionals. The repeated action for the second dose of vaccin was held between 13th – 15th of May 2021, with over 8000 people vaccinated. This project was taken by the local authorities across the country, the vaccination marathons becoming popular and organized throughout the whole country.
The COVID-19 Pandemic imposed redefining the priorities and the transformation of some areas in areas that are dedicated to this new type of patients with special needs. The Emergency Clinical Department Hospital ”P. Brînzeu” Timișoara organized a maximal number of beds COVID-19, this hospital still being opened for the medical and surgery non-COVID19 emergency cases. Temporarily, in the period September 2020 – December 2020, in the court of the hospital there was installed an additional mobile intensive care unit with a capacity of 12 beds. More than 500 critical patients who were suffering from acute respiratory distress determined by SARS-COV-2 infection were treated in the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care.
The modernization of the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care is a continuous process, in 2021 there were 4 major projects ongoing, paid with European and governmental funds:
- the extension of the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care with 8 beds at the level of the small part of the second floor within the main building body of the Emergency Clinical Department Hospital – financing assured by the County Council Timiș;
- the complete digitization of the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care – financed from European funds;
- the modernization of the medical gas installation of the Emergency Clinical Department Hospital – financed with European funds;
- the building of a modular structure, which is adjacent to the Emergency Clinical Department Hospital and that can have 22 Intensive Care beds for the COVID-19 critical cases – financed with European funds.
The discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care within the University of Medicine and Farmacy ”Victor Babeș” Timișoara belongs to the department X, Surgery II and it assures the courses and the practical stages in the anaesthesia specialization for the students of the 6th year, the Faculty of Medicine, the specialization of General Medicine, the 4th year, the specialization of General Medical Assistance.
Of a particular importance is the educational activity that was realized for the resident doctors from the specialization of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care (about 30 resident doctors / preparation year) as well as other specializations that have in their curricula the anaesthesia and intensive care stage (medical emergencies, general surgery, paediatric surgery, infectious diseases, internal medicine, cardiology, neurology, pneumology, haematology, clinical pharmacology, etc.).
Since 2019, a Simulation Centre in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care (SIMLAB) was opened on Nicu Filipescu street nr. 1-2, in Timisoara. This centre was equipped with the financing from: the Romanian-Swiss Cooperation Fund, the World Bank, the University of Medicine and Pharmacy ”V. Babeș” Timișoara. Courses and workshops for students, student nurses, resident doctors in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care and resident doctors in other specialties are held here. These workshops cover basic manoeuvres that are relevant for anaesthesia and intensive care, for emergency medicine and other specialties (basic and advanced resuscitation skills, airway management techniques, insertion of peripheral and central venous catheters, insertion of arterial catheters, spinal and peridural anaesthesia, bronchoscopy, etc.), using special mannequins and specific equipment for these manoeuvres, as well as complex clinical scenarios, using high fidelity simulation mannequins.
The Educational Activity
Since 2003, the Discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care is organizing the National Course of Guidelines and Protocols in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, manifestation that became over time the largest scientific meeting in Romania from this speciality. Every year, more than 1700 medical professionals are participating at this reference event.
Since 2006, this National Course also included the speciality of Emergency Medicine, and since the year 2014 it became the International Course of Guidelines and Protocols in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, having not only international speakers but also international participation from the Central and East European regions. The edition from 2021 of this manifestation was the edition with number XVIII.
Besides these manifestations, the Discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care organized several national and international events, from which we mention the most important:
- The Courses of the European Education Federation in Anaesthesiology (FEEA)
- The Ultrasound Course in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, WINFOCUS (World International Network Focused on Critical Ultrasound) – Timișoara, December 2007
- Ultrasound in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Department – Basic Level, the 31st of May – the 3rd of June 2008, Timisoara.
- The Course of Echo-guided Regional Anaesthesia, the 1st edition Timișoara, 2009
- The Course of Echo-guided Regional Anaesthesia, the 2nd edition Timișoara, 2010
- The Course of the National Romanian Reanimation Council: European Guides 2010 for the cardiopulmonary and cerebral reanimation – the 14th -the 15th of October 2011 Timișoara
- The European Society of Computing and Technology in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care 23rd Annual Meeting, Timișoara the 3rd -the 6th of October 2012
- Current Concepts and Future Trends for Ultrasound Guided Regional Anaesthesia, Timișoara the 7th the 8th of October 2012
- The European Society of Anaesthesiology Autumn Meeting, the 4th Edition – Timișoara, October 2013
- Fifth World Congress of TOTAL INTRAVENOUS ANAESTHESIA-TCI, www.worldsiva.org, Timisoara , Romania/ September 28-30, 201
- The European Society of Computing and Technology in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care 24th Annual Meeting, Timișoara the 23rd -the 25th of October 2014
- The European Society of Computing and Technology in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care 25th Annual Meeting, Timișoara the 22nd -the 24th of November 2016
- The Fifth World Congress of TOTAL INTRAVENOUS ANAESTHESIA – TCI (Timișoara , Romania, September 28-30, 2017) – organized in a partnership with the World Society of Total Intravenous Anaesthesia (www.worldsiva.org)
A highly emotional event was organised in 2018, the year that celebrated the Centenary of the Union of Transylvania, Bessarabia and Bucovina with Romania, when the International Guidelines and Protocols in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine Course was held in Kishinev, Republic of Moldova, together with the Society of Anaesthesia and Reanimatology from the Republic of Moldova, society which has fused with the Romanian Society of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, thus realizing the first union of two professional societies: Romanian and Moldavian.
At the same time, since the foundation of the Experimental Centre of Laparoscopic Surgery and Microsurgery within the University of Medicine and Pharmacy ”Victor Babeș” Timișoara, the Discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care took part as a co-organizer in all experimental courses that were done on laboratory animals, frequently organized in this institution.
Every year, several skill-enhancing national and international courses in the field of laparoscopic surgery and microsurgery are organized here, such as:
- Free Flap Course in Living Tissue
- Flap Dissection Course on Live Tissue
- Endoscopic Flap Dissection Seminar in Living Tissue
- Flap Seminar on Live Tissue
- Intensive Course of laparoscopic surgery on an animal model
The educational activity of the Discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care was completed by a series of publications containing guidelines and recommendations for clinical practice, which are highly appreciated by medical professionals across the world. These publications of the Discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care are:
- Ghiduri practice de anestezie, terapie intensiva si medicina de urgență= Practical Guidelines in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine
- Ghiduri de management al situatiilor de criza in anestezie = Management Guidelines for Crisis Situations in Anaesthesia
- Actualități in anestezie, terapie intensivă si medicina de urgență = News in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine
- Protocoale clinice in anestezie, terapie intensivă = Clinical Protocols in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care
Algoritmi de management al situațiilor de criză in anestezie, terapie intensivă = Management Algorithms for Crisis Situations in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care
- Oxford – ghid practic de anestezie = Oxford, Practical guide of Anaesthesia
Scientific and Research Activity
The team of the Discipline of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care won several governmental competitions of grants and finalized the following research grants:
- 2004 – 2006: Cardiac preconditioning by anaesthesia, sequential activation of molecular mechanisms that are mediating the cardioprotective effect of desflurane against ischemia/reperfusion lesions. Experimental in vivo study in rat myocardium – PRECARDIS – the Program VIASAN No. 309/2004.
- 2006 – 2008 PI.CEEX Molecular mechanisms used in the preconditioning with volatile anaesthetic drugs: from the identification of the molecular targets in the rat myocardium to mentioning protective mechanisms in the human myocardium – PRISMS, 1st Module, no.134/2006.
- 2007 – 2010 Cardio- protection induced by the volatile anaesthetic drugs: new directions related to intracellular signalling in pre and post myocardium conditioning, The Program PN II IDEAS No. 236/2007
- 2007 – 2010 Non- invasive and minimally invasive innovative monitoring protocols: from animal in vivo experimental model to clinical impact – PROTONEOMING, The Program PNII No.61013/2007
- 2008 – 2011 New strategies in the management of the organ donor: optimizing the heart and kidneys recovery protocol by the pharmaceutical preconditioning with anaesthetic agents – TRANACONDA, The Program PNII No. 62066/2008
- 2008 – 2011 Cardioprotective strategies in reperfusion – mitochondria as a therapeutical multiple target – CARDIOMITOPROT The Program PNII No. 42-122/2008
Begining with 2004, in the Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care took place 34 international multicentric clinical studies of 2nd, 3rd and 4th phases, meant to establish the efficiency of different treatment protocols in the specific pathology of the intensive care clinics.
The number of publications of the discipline members is impressive, in 2021 this number exceeding 78 articles that were published in the national and international scientific magazines, 44 of these articles having a significant impact factor.
The evolution of the number of publications and of citation had an increasing trend in the last years, fact also confirmed by the charts obtained from the reporting systems: