Address: Poşta Mare, Ist floor 2, Cicio Pop Street, Timişoara
Head of Discipline
📧 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
📧 Email: email@example.com
📧 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
📧 Email: email@example.com
📧 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
📧 Email: email@example.com
📧 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Modern languages and the Romanian language have been taught at the “Victor Babeș” University of Medicine and Pharmacy since 1950. In the 71 years of practical course, through a permanent and assiduous adaptation, the professors of such subject tried to preserve the universal cultural spirit unaltered. This subject benefits from an extremely varied activity: applied modern language courses – medical language, cultural anthropology, culture and civilization courses, postgraduate courses, language proficiency tests, intensive foreign language modules for trainees of academic mobility projects, interdisciplinary scientific sessions, international conferences, book launches, round tables, etc.
The Modern Languages and Romanian Language subjects deliver courses of: Romanian, English, French, German – for first- and second-year students; Cultural anthropology (optional course) – for first year students, sections with delivery language in Romanian, English, French; Introduction to narrative medicine (elective course) – for second year students, sections with delivery in Romanian, English, French.
The practical course on Romanian language, Romanian culture and civilization is addressed to foreign students enrolled in the sections taught in Romanian (Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy), English (Medicine, Dentistry) and French (Medicine, Pharmacy). The course is therefore designed to present the background values of the place where they are to spend their professional training years. With their second year of study, the aim is to get acquainted with medical language and to develop the skills of formulating a specialized discourse.
The courses are supported by current textbooks and are modern, interactive, and benefit from audio-video support, etc. Students accumulate vocabulary specific to the medical style and simultaneously elaborate their lexical-grammatical subtleties in order to achieve communication (written and oral) in the medical field, based on the descriptors provided in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The results of the research carried out by the members of our team are concretized in specialized articles, author or collective volumes, participations in prestigious national and international scientific events.
Diana Boc-Sînmărghiţan is an associate professor at the “Victor Babeş” University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Timişoara where she teaches Romanian language as a foreign language, general and medical language. She graduated in 2003 from the West University of Timişoara, Faculty of Letters, Philosophy and History, and in 2005, the Master in Romanian Language in Synchrony and Diachrony, obtaining a scholarship to Paul Valéry University in Montpellier, France. In 2009, under the leadership of Univ. Prof. Vasile Frăţilă PhD, she is awarded the title of Doctor of Philology with the distinction magna cum laude. She is the author / co-author of scientific books and dictionaries, of numerous studies in the specialized field, published by prestigious publishing houses in the country and abroad. RLSmed. Româna ca limbă străină – limbaj medical (2020), Dicţionarul toponimic al Banatului (văile Bistra şi Sebeş) (2017), Compendium of Forage Technical Terms in English, French and Romanian (Cambridge Scholars Publishing) (2012) – are some illustrative titles for her scientific and teaching activity. She organizes communication sessions and interdisciplinary workshops, student circles, summer schools and coordinates in funding and research projects. During her scientific and teaching activity, she addresses aspects of current interest in the field of onomastics, lexicology, language history, as well as teaching in the medical specialty.
Patricia-Dorli Dumescu-Pop has been the Head of English-German Works since 2005 at UMFT. She graduated in 2003 from the Faculty of Letters, Philosophy and History, West University of Timişoara. In 2006, she graduated from the Master of American Studies at UVT, and in 2011 she was awarded the title of Doctor of Philology, the magna cum laude distinction at the Western University, under the guidance of Univ. Prof. Mircea Mihăieş PhD. Since 2003, collaborating professor at the West University, and since 2005 collaborator, assistant and then head of works at UMFT. She teaches German and English at all three UMFT faculties, and adapt courses for: general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry. She has published works in the field of English literature and cultural studies both in Romania and abroad.
Iulia Cristina Frînculescu is associate professor at the “Victor Babeş” University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Timişoara. Tenured professor in university education since 2000, with activity of English teaching, specialized languages (medical, IT, economic, etc.). PhD in philology since 2009, with her doctoral thesis: “Aspecte ale terminologiei medicale româneşti de după 1990 (cu specială referire la influenţa engleză (Aspects of Romanian Medical Terminology after 1990 (with special reference to English influence)”, scientific guidance of Univ. Prof. H.C. Mult. Maria Iliescu PhD (Institut für Romanistik, University of Innsbruck, Austria). More than 77 publications, of which 17 books (8 sole author) and over 60 articles (ISI Web of Science, Article, with impact factor, and BDI), studies and papers published in journals in Romania, Norway, France, Switzerland , Italy, Canada. Co-author of the international monographs Sustainable and Solidary Development, Reflections and Practices (Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, 2017) and L’intercompréhension et les nouveaux défis pour les langues romanes (Union Latine, Paris, France, 2011). Linguistic co-author of the Tratat de cardiopatii congenitale – Treaties on Congenital Heart Diseases (edited by Ion Socoteanu), published by the Romanian Academy Publishing House (2010) and awarded the Victor Babeş Prize of the Romanian Academy in 2012. Member of international philological scientific societies in UK, Switzerland and France. She has received national scientific and literary awards. Organizer and coordinator of scientific events, postgraduate courses, student circles.
Daniela Kohn has been since 2013 the works head at the “Victor Babeș” University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Timişoara, Department XVI, Subject of Modern Languages and Romanian Language where she teaches German and Romanian as a foreign language, general and medical language. In addition to numerous published articles and books, she is the author of the internationally recognized Romanian as a Foreign Language textbook, Puls. Manual de limba română ca limbă străină, Polirom Publishing House, Iaşi, 2009/2016 (vol. I, level A1-A2), 2012 (vol. II, level B1-B2). Since 2013 she has been a certified assessor for the German language, Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch (ÖSD), levels A1, A2, B1, B2, C1. Since 2016 she has been an affiliate member of ALTE (The Association of Language Testers in Europe). She was appointed in 2018 by Ministry Order a substitute member in the competition commission of the Institute of the Romanian Language for occupying the positions of Romanian language lecturer who were to deliver courses on Romanian language, literature, culture and civilization in universities abroad.
Gabriela-Mariana Luca has been tenured professor at UMFVBT since 1997, through competition, assistant professor, supervisor since 2002, associate professor since 2014, PhD in humanities since 2004 (history – with a thesis on cultural anthropology: Vraciul, preotul şi medicul. Tipuri de iniţiere (Healer, Priest and Physician. Types of Initiation) of the University Lucian Blaga from Sibiu, graduate of Al. I. Cuza Iaşi, in-depth studies, bachelor’s thesis in literary anthropology, defended at the French Semiotics Department, predoctoral year in cultural anthropology at EHESS – Toulouse; author of 4 volumes – sole author, 4 volumes in collaboration, coordinator of 3 collective volumes and author of over 50 studies and articles. Since 1997, she has been involved in the creation and development of the French-language departments of the Faculties of Pharmacy and General Medicine, organizing postgraduate courses in French for UMF professors, translations of specialized texts, administrative documents, etc. She is the organizer of 10 international conferences on cultural anthropology and coordinates undergraduate work in anthropology of the concept of health.
Simona Olaru-Poşiar is graduate of the West University of Timişoara, English-German department. Her doctoral dissertation – Das Motiv des Wahnsinns in der deutschen Literatur – von Georg Büchner bis Patrick Süskind, is the first study in Southeast Europe written from a dual perspective – that of a philologist, but also of a clinical psychologist with the right to free practice , a work that combines notions of psychology, literature and psychiatry. Author of two books published in Romania – Motivul nebuniei în literatura germană – de la Georg Büchner la Patrick Süskind (The Reason for Madness in German Literature – from Georg Büchner to Patrick Süskind) and Literatur und Medizin. Wahn und Wahnsinn in der deutschen Literatur, she also collaborated abroad on a monograph entitled Language in the Digital Era. Challenges and Perspectives, and wrote Chapter 3 entitled Training and Development in the Digital Age, published by De Gruyter, Berlin. In 2019, the course for medical staff Deutschkurs für Ärzte, Mediziner und Pflegekräfte appears. Lehr- und Arbeitsbuch is issued. Since 2014, she has been coordinating a circle of debates within the Faculty of Dentistry – Debate for a better understanding of the world, a circle that brings together a number of 50 students every six months.
Simona Nicoleta Staicu is an associate professor of English and Romanian language, employee of the “Victor Babeş” University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Timişoara since 2002; tenured professor by competition since March 2004 as English language trainer, English assistant since 2006, head of English language works since 2014; PhD in philology since 2012 (with a thesis in medical terminology Limbajul medical românesc actual. Perspectivă sincronică (‘The current Romanian medical language. Synchronic perspective’) of the West University of Timişoara, Faculty of Letters, History and Theology; graduate of the University of Craiova, Faculty of Letters and History, specialization: Romanian Language and Literature – English Language and Literature, Master at the West University of Timișoara, English and American Studies Translation Studies. She is the author of scientific books and medical glossaries (Glossary of Medical Terms. Acronyms and Abbreviations, 2018; Glossary of Medical Terms. Synonyms and Antonyms, 2021), of numerous studies in the specialized field, published by prestigious publishing houses in the country and abroad (Germany, France, Finland). More than 70 publications, of which 9 books (4 sole author) and over 60 articles (ISI Web of Science, Scopus, Ebsco articles, with impact factor, and BDI articles). Didactic and scientific research activity in the philological field: terminology with applications in medical terminology, terminography, lexicology, lexicography, translation studies, specialized languages, semantics, functional stylistics, corpus linguistics, text linguistics, discourse analysis, specialized translations.
Daniela Şilindean is a graduate of the West University of Timişoara, Faculty of Letters, Philosophy and History (2003) and of the Master of Literature and Mentalities (2005), PhD in Philology with the thesis Modele dramatice: Eugène Ionesco, Matei Vişniec (Dramatic Models: Eugène Ionesco, Matei Vişniec (2008), with the the distinction magna cum laude, UVT; author of two volumes of criticism, co-author of a theater album and of a monography and co-author of two textbooks on Romanian as a foreign language.
She is an Arts Editor and a member of the Editorial Board of the cultural magazine “Orizont” (indexed magazine BDI – CEEOL and EBSCO) and of the editorial board of the magazine “DramArt” (indexed CEEOL and SCIPIO), translator of literary texts (plays, theoretical texts, a volume of art history), author of studies published in collective volumes, author of more than 210 articles, book editor.
She is a theater critic, member of the International Association of Theater Critics – Romanian section; member of the Romanian Writers’ Union; president of the 360 ° Cultural Association, coordinator of cultural-educational projects.
Research fields: theater, dramaturgy, contemporary literature, cultural education, narrative medicine.
Elena-Ligia Jebelean has been lecturer since 2022 at the Faculty of Medicine, she teaches Romanian language to foreign students. She is a graduate of the West University of Timisoara, Faculty of Letters, Philosophy and History (1994) and of the Master’s Degree in Literature and Mentalities (2005). She was awarded her PhD in philology with a thesis coordinated by the critic and literary historian Cornel Ungureanu, Modernizarea literaturii române în deceniul 5 al secolului XX – cazul Anişoara Odeanu (Modernization of the Romanian Literature in the 5th Decade of the 20th Century – the Case of Anişoara Odeanu) (2008), with the distinction magna cum laude.
She is the author of a volume of criticism. She edited two editions of Anișoara Odeanu’s writings (poetry and prose), as well as two other editions of literary and cultural history (Aurel Buteanu, Victor Iancu). She is the co-author of two textbooks on Romanian as a foreign language and two volumes for preparing students for national exams. She contributed with chapters and studies to collective volumes – communication and argumentation, didactics of the discipline, history and literary criticism. She has published more than 30 articles. She coordinated and edited 35 collective volumes that reflect the concerns of the teaching community, as well as the cultural interests of young people. She organizes cultural events and creative writing workshops.
The activity of the discipline of Modern Languages and Romanian Language: didactic, research, transdisciplinary
- Language proficiency tests: Romanian, English, German, French
- Postgraduate courses:
- Professional language English, French, German (2008-2012);
- For the academic year 2019-2020:
- Body reading – emotion, memory, narrative in the medical sciences. Elements of anthropology of the concept of health, coordinator: associate professor Dr. Gabriela-Mariana Luca;
- Theater techniques and methods in medical practice, pathological acts, identity constructions, coordinator: ş.l. Dr. Daniela Şilindean;
- Food anthropology – food (in)compatibility, cultural (in)compatibility, coordinator: associate professor Dr. Gabriela-Mariana Luca.
- Student science circles:
- UMFVBT Cultural Anthropology Circle, A.C.U.M., coordinator: Assoc. Prof. Gabriela-Mariana Luca PhD;
- Romanian Language Study and Elaboration Circle for Foreign Students of UMFT, coordinators: Assoc. Diana Boc-Sînmărghiţan PhD, s.I. Daniela Kohn PhD, Associate Professor Daniela Şilindean PhD;
- Language, Culture and Civilization, coordinator: associate professor Iulia Cristina Frînculescu PhD;
- Translation Studies (Ro-En, En-Ro), coordinator: associate professor Simona Nicoleta Staicu PhD.
- Summer schools
- The Story as Sapiens’ Vertical Spine – Narrative Medicine I | The first edition of the summer school (July-September 2021), coordinator: associate professor Gabriela-Mariana Luca PhD, Center for Applied Linguistic Research and Comparative Cultural Studies;
- Romanian language, medical language: Romanian for Medical Professionals (2016-2019, 2021) – coordinators: associate professor Daniela Kohn PhD, Associate Professor Diana Boc-Sînmărghiţan PhD, associate professor Daniela Şilindean PhD.
- International conferences, national communication sessions and workshops for students:
Cultural Anthropology (2010-2021)
- Food (In)Compatibilities – Cultural (In)Compatibilities, International Conference and Postgraduate Course in Food Anthropology at “Victor Babes”, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Timisoara and Artship Foundation San Francisco, 6th – 8th May 2020 Timisoara, coordinators: associate professor Gabriela-Mariana Luca PhD, Slobodan Dan Paich;
- Les pandémies, révélateurs de la fragilité de nos sociétés?, conference given by Jérôme Thomas, organizer: Gabriela-Mariana Luca; C-CLASS;
- “Reading the Signs: The Emotions and Body Shape Expressed in the Colors and Sounds of Disease”, International workshop organized by “Victor Babes” University of Medicine and Pharmacy Timisoara and Artship Foundation San Francisco, November 14-16, 2018;
- “Ars et medica, vita longa est”, 2016 – 2018;
- “Intangibles Bodies within the Body: Memories, Feelings, Forecasts, International Seminar of Corpus”; co-organizer Slobodan Dan Paich, ArtShip Foundation, San Francisco;
- Lecture and Workshop for students / visiting professor SD Paich: “Problem-Solving Model as a Unifying Principle of Creativity in Art and Science”; Slobodan Dan Paich, Director and Principal Investigator, Artship Foundation, San Francisco;
- “Water and Body Fluids”, International Seminar of Corpus, 2014; co-organizer Jérôme Thomas, Paul Valéry University, Montpellier;
- “The Silent Body. Discourses of Silence”; co-organizer Jose Luis Grosso (University of Catamarca, Argentina);
- The 8th Symposium of Corpus, November 29-30, 2013, Timisoara
- The Seventh International Symposium of Corpus: “Parents’Bodies, Children’s Bodies. From Conception to Education ”, 2012;
- “Sharing the Diversity: the University in a Plate”, 2013;
- “ThisUn-Real Body”, Corpus International Seminar, 2010.
Comparativism and diversity in Banat. Places and Therapy. Interdisciplinary Approach (2015-2021)
- Communications and workshops session, 6th edition: Places and therapy: Health has a name – April 23, 2021; Tongue pill 19/23 April 2021
- Communications and workshops session, 5th edition: Places and therapy, May 6-8, 2020
- Communications and workshops session, 4th edition: Comparatism and diversity in Banat. Places and therapy. Interdisciplinary approach, November 23, 2018
- Communications and workshops session, 3rd edition: Places and Therapy. Medical rehabilitation from a multicultural perspective. Interdisciplinary approach, April 19, 2018
- Communications and workshops session, 2nd edition: Comparatism and diversity in Banat. About places and their therapeutic properties. Interdisciplinary approach, March 31, 2017
- Communication session, first edition: Comparatism and diversity in Banat. About places and their therapeutic properties. Interdisciplinary approach, April 8, 2015
- Workshops, first edition: Comparatism and diversity in Banat. About places and their therapeutic properties. Interdisciplinary approach, April 15, 2015
Scientific events: medical language, specialized languages (2016-2020)
- National Workshop, ed. VI: National Webinars for Students, November 16-20, 2020;
- National Workshop, ed. V: Communication Skills – A Practical Approach for Students, November 18 – 22, 2019;
- Workshop, ed. IV: Workshops for Romanian and Foreign Students, with the sections Public Speaking – A Practical Approach for Students and Crossing Cultural Boundaries, 15, 17 April 2019;
- Workshop, ed. III: Medical Presentations – A Practical Approach for Students, November 28, 2018;
- Workshop, ed. II: Medical Presentations – A Practical Approach for Students, December 8, 2017;
- Scientific Colloquium, ed. I: Linguistic perspectives in the teaching of foreign languages and specialized languages, December 8, 2016;
- Workshop, ed. I: The specifics of teaching and learning medical English, December 9, 2016.
Interdisciplinary dialogue (2018 – 2021)
- Conference: The Anamnesis Dialogue. Structure and types of evaluation. Speakers: Dr. med. Bianca Itariu, Dr. Thomas Koller of the University of Medicine in Vienna, May 12, 2021, coord. Lecturer Dr. Daniela Kohn, Associate Professor Dr. Daniela Șilindean;
- Conference and workshop: The Visual Language of Posters, designers Ovidiu Hrin, Silvia Hrin, Alexandru Iliescu, April 3, 2019, coord. Lecturer Dr. Daniela Kohn, Associate Professor Dr. Daniela Șilindean;
- Conference and workshop Communication Design, graphic designer Ovidiu Hrin, March 3, 2018, coord. Lecturer Dr. Daniela Kohn, Associate Professor Dr. Daniela Șilindean.
Learning, Teaching, Assessment (2021)
- The first edition of conferences and workshops in the series Learning, Teaching, Assessment, the topic: The dialogue of the anamnesis and the evaluation of the competences acquired by the students / Ärztliche Gesprächsführung mit Evaluierungsbeispielen; Associate Professor: Dr. Bianca Itariu (Vienna University of Medicine, AKH Vienna), April 16, 2021 – coord. Lecturer Dr. Daniela Kohn, Center for Applied Linguistics Research and Comparative Cultural Studies.
Crossing Cultural Boundaries (2009-2019)
- Crossing Cultural Boundaries workshop: 2009, 2010, 2012, 2019
- Research funding projects:
- Comparativism and diversity in Banat. Places and therapy. Interdisciplinary approach, project no. 21114, dated 12.11.2018, financed by the Timiş County Council through the Culture and Art Center of Timiş County (Diana Boc-Sînmărghiţan, co-organizers: Gabriela Luca, Elena Amăricăi, Georgeta Sînmărghiţan, Cosmina Lungoci);
- The Silent Body. Discourses of Silence, Identifier: PN-II-ID-WE-2012- 4, Domain: Social Sciences and Humanities / SH5, Cultures and cultural production: literature, visual and performing arts, music, cultural and comparative studies, SH5_11: Cultural studies , cultural diversity, score 4.6 / 5 (GM. Luca, Co-organizer, Prof. Dr. Jose Luis Grosso, University of Catamarca, Argentina);
- Frînculescu Iulia Cristina, UEFISCDI, PN-II-RU-PRECISI-2015-9, National Plan for Research, Development and Innovation 2007-2014, PNII, Human Resources Program, 2015, for the article “Etymology, Polysemy and Translation. The Case of the Word Pattern in the Romanian Medical Language ”, published in Revue Roumaine de Linguistique (Romanian Review of Linguistics), vol. LIX, no.4, Romanian Academy Publishing House, Bucharest, October-December 2014, journal indexed in ISI Web of Knowledge, Arts & Humanities Citation Index;
- Frînculescu Iulia Cristina, Ministry of National Education, UEFISCDI, PN-II-RU-PRECISI-2013-7-3628, National Plan for Research, Development and Innovation 2007-2013, PNII, Human Resources Program, 2013, for the article “The Romanian Word Tril: Problems of Homonymy, Synonymy, and Hyponymy. Semantic Clarifications ”, published in Revue Roumaine de Linguistique (Romanian Review of Linguistics), LVIII, 2, Romanian Academy Publishing House, Bucharest, journal indexed in ISI Web of Knowledge, Arts & Humanities Citation Index;
- Mobility CNCSIS, PN- II- RU- MC-2008- 2, G.-M. Luca: From Land to Book and Finaly to Money a History of the Sense of Property of the Romanians in the XXIst Century, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Romanian language profile page: https://rlsmed.wordpress.com/
- Coordination of undergraduate works, coordination of scientific works (see the activity of each professor)